Marriage (Thai Spouse) Visa Services in Thailand

It is common for foreigners who come to Thailand fall in love with not only the country but also a Thai national and later become legally married. In many cases, the foreigner may wish to obtain a long-term visa in Thailand, often referred to as a Thai Marriage Visa. A Marriage Visa in Thailand is a form of Non-Immigrant O Visa that allows foreigner spouses to live together in Thailand on the assumption that they meet some strict criteria.

How do I obtain a Non-Immigrant O Visa based on having a Thai Spouse?

If you are legally married to a Thai national, this means that the wedding has been legally recognized at your partner’s Amphur, you can apply for a Thai Spouse Visa. There are two main ways of applying for a Thai Marriage Visa. The first is to apply for a Non-Immigrant O Thai Spouse Visa at the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in your home country, where you will be granted either a 90-day single-entry or multiple-entry visa. Alternatively, you could apply for the visa whilst you are in the Kingdom at a Thai Immigration Department such as at Chaeng Wattana in Bangkok.

Applying for a Marriage Visa in Thailand

If you are a passport holder of one of the 21 countries that can enter Thailand with a Visa on Arrival or 30-day exempt stamp, applying for a Non-Immigrant O Visa is relatively straightforward as long as you have the necessary paperwork. Indeed, applying for a Marriage Visa in Thailand is one of the easiest visas to obtain, assuming that you meet the criteria. We would strongly suggest that if you plan to apply for a Thai Wife Visa and have entered the Kingdom on either a Tourist Visa or an exempt stamp, you begin the application process immediately to avoid any problems.

The requirement for applying for a Non-Immigrant O Visa at Bangkok Immigration

If we assume that your current visa is a Tourist Visa instead of another form of Non-Immigrant visa, the first process is to file a TM. 86 Form, which is the application to convert to a Non-Immigrant O Visa. If you have an exempt stamp, you will need to complete a TM. 87 Form to obtain your Non-Immigrant O Visa (Thai Wife). In addition to the application form, when applying for a Thai Spouse Visa you will also need to submit the following:

Your passport with a minimum of six months remaining and two free pages available

Three passport-sized photos which must be professionally taken against a white background. You should not smile in the pictures, wear a shirt with a collar and remove glasses or any headgear

Photocopies of your passport including the personal information page, the latest entry stamp, your existing visa (not applicable if you have a Visa on Arrival exempt stamp), details of any extensions and your;

TM. 6 – also known as your Departure Card

A copy of your wife’s Thai ID Card

A copy of your wife’s house registration, known as the Tabian Baan

If you were married in Thailand, you will need your original Thai Marriage Certificate (Kor Ror. 2 and Kor Ror. 3) along with a copy. You will also need to provide a copy of your Affirmation of Freedom to Marry certificate, which your Embassy will have issued prior to your marriage

If you were married outside of the Kingdom, you will need to lodge a Family Status Registration (Kor Ror. 22) and provide a copy of the marriage certificate or marriage registration from overseas

If you were married overseas, the marriage must be legalized by the Embassy in Bangkok. For example, if you were married in the UK, the British Embassy would need to legalize the marriage. A copy of these documents along with a certified translation verified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand will be required.

How often do I need to renew my Thai Marriage Visa?

The Thai Spouse Visa needs to be renewed annually, and the process is the same as with the original application. It is highly recommended you consult Thai Visa Expert team to ensure smooth procedure to obtain a year Extension based on having a Thai Spouse.

Thai Child Dependent Visa (Non-immigrant O)

There are several forms of Non-Immigrant O Visa, but one of the most important is the Thai Child Visa, which helps reunite a child with one of their parents. The visa is designed for a parent; usually, the father, separated from a Thai national and has a child or legal step-child with their former partner. They often have legal custody of the child, while in some cases, the two parents may still be together but not be legally married, so the Non-Immigrant O Visa (Thai Child) allows them to reside in Thailand long-term.

How do you obtain a Non-Immigrant O Visa (Thai Child)

Most parents wishing to be granted a Thai Child Dependent Visa enter the Kingdom on either a Thai Tourist Visa or use the Visa on Entry 30-day exempt stamp. Once you are in the Kingdom, assuming you meet all the required documents (see below), we will start the application process. The initial visa will be for 90 days and then can be extended by a further 12 months if your circumstances remain unchanged and the Thai Immigration Department is satisfied with your status. In effect, the first visa is valid for 15 months, and you will then need to re-apply annually for a subsequent visa.

Why use a professional visa company

Applying for a visa in any country can be stressful, and with a Thai Family Visa, there is the potential for families to become separated if things don’t go to plan. At Thai Visa Expert, we will ensure that you have all the correct paperwork and can liaise with immigration officials on your behalf. We have an established and trusted professional relationship with Thai Immigration and know what is currently required, thus increasing your chances of your visa being accepted the first time.



45 days Exempt visa stamp is no longer offered which was implemented on October 1st last year 2022 as an effort to help stimulate the Thai Tourism Industry. All the countries that eligible for Exempt Visa stamp will now get only 30 days upon arrival.

For those who want to stay longer for tourism purpose, travelers can also apply for a 60 days Tourist Visa head of time, which is of course, more costly and requires uploading a variety of documents as most embassies have moved to the E-Visa application system.

Either way, the Exempt Visa stamp for 30 days and Tourist Visa for 60 days can extend their stay for another 30 days at the cost of 1900 THB at a local Thai Immigration in Thailand. However, some nationalities may receive extension not more than 7 days on a Tourist Visa (if not eligible for Exempt Visa stamp)