If you are legally married to a Thai national and plan to live long-term in Thailand and meet all the criteria, you can apply for a Non-Immigrant O Thai Spouse Visa, commonly referred to as a Thai Marriage Visa. The visa is renewable annually, and the holder is not required to leave the country Unless you are a frequent traveler, you can have a Multiple Re-entry Permit which will allow you to fly out and fly back in order to keep your stay valid. If you are not a frequent traveler, you will have to notify your address at the local Immigration office every 90 days. Worry not! We have a service for 90 days report within Bangkok which includes pick up and drop off the passport at your most convenience. 

For many foreigners wishing to reside in Thailand, a Thai Marriage Visa is one of the best options. Still, we would always recommend that you use a visa expert when applying, as this will increase your chances of it being accepted the first time. Holders of a Thai Spouse Visa can work in the Kingdom if they have a valid work permit. Indeed, having a Non-Immigrant O Thai Spouse Visa is advantageous for many employers as they will only need to worry about procuring a work permit with less requirements.

What documents do I need to apply for a Thai Wife Visa?

To qualify for a Thai Spouse Visa, you must be legally married to a Thai National and have a valid marriage certificate from Thailand or overseas. The marriage must be registered (regardless of where it took place) at the Amphur. The documents that you require would be:

  • Kor Ror 3 – Marriage Certificate (if married in Thailand)
  • Original Marriage Certificate and an official translation if married overseas
  • Kor Ror 2 – Marriage Registration (if married in Thailand)
  • Kor Ror 22 – Marriage Registration (if married overseas)

Occasionally, other documents may be requested by the Thai Immigration Department, including a notarised copy of the applicant’s “Affirmation of Freedom to Marry” and, in some cases, an affidavit from the applicant’s embassy confirming their income. However, many are reluctant to issue this.

What are the financial requirements?

The financial requirements for a Thai Marriage Visa are less strict than those for other visas, notably the Thai Retirement Visa. However, the applicant must have THB400,000 held in a Thai bank account for a minimum of two months before the initial application was submitted. Alternatively, the applicant must have a monthly income of no less than THB40,000 or a combination of the two. An updated passbook and a letter from the bank will be required, or if you don’t have THB400,000, proof that you have an income of THB40,000.

How do you apply for a Thai Marriage Visa?

If you are in Thailand on a Tourist Visa or with at least Exempt Visa Stamp, we can assist you to secure you a Non Immigrant O Visa on the basis of having a Thai Wife. Non-Immigrant O Visa is valid for 3 months and Extension of stay is valid for another 12 months. The total duration of stay you will get is for 15 months which is renewable yearly just before its expiry.  

Your other option is to apply for a Non Immigrant O Single Entry Visa at the Royal Thai consulate before traveling to Thailand. This type of visa is renewable yearly at the Local Thai Immigration office.

Third option is to obtain a Non-Immigrant O Multiple Entry Visa at the Royal Thai Consulate before traveling to Thailand. However, this type of visa would require a border run every 90 days.

It is worth noting that due to COVID-19 restrictions, applicants travelling from overseas will need to quarantine for a minimum of 14 nights, have valid health insurance, take a PCR COVID-19 test no more than 72 hours before departure and have obtained a Certificate of Entry (CoE) from the Thai Embassy. Non-Immigrant Multiple Entry Visa may not be convenient at the moment unless traveling restrictions due to COVID 19 are over.

What do I need to know after I have my visa?

Suppose you are planning to leave Thailand during the validity of your visa. In that case, you will need to apply for a re-entry permit which should be done before you travel at either a local Thai Immigration Department or at an international airport. You can apply for a single or multiple-entry permit, but failure to do so will mean that your visa is automatically cancelled. The process is straightforward, with many people choosing to do this when they apply or renew their visas.

With some visas, like Non Immigrant O Multiple Entry Visa holders must leave the country every 90 days, although this is becoming less common. However, with an Extension of stay based on Thai Marriage Visa, the holder must report their current address to the nearest Thai Immigration Office every 90 days. It can be done in person, online, or you can get someone to do it on your behalf. If you are not in Thailand when your reporting is due, it will recommence 90 days after you re-enter the country.

When it comes to renewing your Thai Wife Visa, you will need to do so in the final 30 days of your existing visa and submit all the same documents as your initial application. The only difference is that if you are proving that you have THB400,000 in a Thai bank account, this must have been held for two months.

What happens if my marriage ends?

Should you get divorced, it will mean that your visa is immediately cancelled, in effect, meaning you have 24-hours to leave the country or apply for a different visa extension like (Thai Child) you must be holding custody of your children. if not 100% but at least 50/50 (shared custody) 

Other visas you can apply for if married to a Thai National

Although a Thai Spouse Visa is the most common visa that people apply for when married to a Thai national, it isn’t the only visa that you are allowed. Some expats working in Thailand may prefer their employers or an agency to apply for a Non-Immigrant B Visa (Working Visa) on their behalf. Expat retirees may choose to keep their Retirement Visa rather than convert to a Thai Marriage Visa for convenience, while those not planning to stay in Thailand long-term may enter on a Thai Tourist Visa.

Unsure which visa is best for you?

If you are uncertain which visa is best for you or if you would like some assistance with your application, at Thai Visa Expert, we can guide you through the process. Please contact us for more details. We offer 100% free consultation via email. 



45 days Exempt visa stamp is no longer offered which was implemented on October 1st last year 2022 as an effort to help stimulate the Thai Tourism Industry. All the countries that eligible for Exempt Visa stamp will now get only 30 days upon arrival.

For those who want to stay longer for tourism purpose, travelers can also apply for a 60 days Tourist Visa head of time, which is of course, more costly and requires uploading a variety of documents as most embassies have moved to the E-Visa application system.

Either way, the Exempt Visa stamp for 30 days and Tourist Visa for 60 days can extend their stay for another 30 days at the cost of 1900 THB at a local Thai Immigration in Thailand. However, some nationalities may receive extension not more than 7 days on a Tourist Visa (if not eligible for Exempt Visa stamp)