What Are the Visa Options for Parents with Thai Children?

Thailand’s allure as a holiday destination attracts millions from across the globe, and for some, it becomes a place to settle in for the long term. As foreigners meet Thai partners and start families, the question of visas for parents with Thai children becomes crucial. This article aims to provide a brief overview of the available visa options for parents with Thai children, including tourist visas, non-B visas for those working in Thailand, and the non-O visa designed specifically for staying with family members. We discuss the application process, renewal, extension, and make special note of the arrangements at the Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate. Lastly, we highlight the possibility of obtaining a Non O Visa inside Thailand and the assistance available from companies such as Thai Visa Expert to navigate the process seamlessly.

Exploring Thailand: A Premier Holiday Destination

Thailand is one of the planet’s premier holiday destinations, with millions of people coming each year from around the globe. The country has stunning tropical beaches, clear blue waters, a rich history and culture, great food, a warm welcome, and so much more.

A beautiful Thai beach with clear blue waters.
A beautiful Thai beach with clear blue waters.

Longer Stays in Thailand

While Thailand has plenty to offer to short-term visitors, it also caters well to those who want to stay for longer. Many foreigners will also end up meeting a Thai partner, and some will end up having Thai children.

Parenting in Thailand

Through our expertise, parents will naturally want to stay with their children and this means obtaining the appropriate visas. We’ve created this brief article to help you understand which options are available for parents with Thai children.

Tourist Visas

While a tourist visa is not the best option for long-term stays, it can still be useful for people who aren’t ready or able to settle in Thailand long-term. For example, many foreigners cannot find work in Thailand so they find work in their home country instead to support themselves and their families.

  • Tourist visas let you stay in the country for 60 days and can be extended by another 30 days if you do a visa run.
  • Limitations on how many consecutive tourist visas you can have make tourist visas not a great long-term solution.
  • Note that you cannot legally work in Thailand on a tourist visa.

Non-B Visa

A non-B visa is typically granted to foreigners who want to work in the country while staying with their Thai children. To qualify, you will need to have the appropriate documentation obtained from a prospective employer along with a valid passport and application fees.

  • Usually valid for 90 days and can be renewed or extended.
  • Can be extended to 1 year in a Thai immigration office provided the holder meets the requirements.
  • While you can legally work with a non-B visa, you will still need to obtain a work permit before you can start.

Non-O Visa

The non-O visa was created for foreigners to stay with their children and other family members legally. You can either apply for a Non Immigrant O Visa at the Royal Thai Embassy prior to traveling to Thailand or at a local Thai Immigration depending on the requirements you meet.

  • Usually valid for 90 days, with extensions and renewables available.
  • Can also extend for a year, provided you meet the appropriate criteria.
  • If expiring, you can extend it yearly at a nearby Thai Immigration.

Making Arrangements at the Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate

For those seeking to lengthen their stay in Thailand, arrangements can be made at their nearest Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate.

*The Royal Thai Embassy in London, England.
*The Royal Thai Embassy in London, England.

Passport and Visa Application Process

Successful applicants will usually receive their passport back with a visa the working day after their application. This generally means staying for at least one night as all visa applications must be made in a different country.

Passport and boarding pass.
Passport and boarding pass.

Consideration for Timing

If you make your application before the weekend or public holidays, you might have to stay for a longer duration. It is advisable to check your calendar to prevent unscheduled stopovers.

Application Venue

The Royal Thai Embassy in London, England is where visa applications are typically submitted.

Accommodation and Travel

The precise details such as accommodation and travel methods will depend on various aspects such as your budget and preferences.

  • For many, a bus or coach journey will be the best option thanks to its affordability.
  • Others may opt for taking a flight, especially if they have a more flexible budget and want to avoid long road journeys.

You will also likely find a wide range of accommodations in your destination city, from budget to 5-star hotels. While most will prefer an overnight stay and return to Thailand as soon as they can, some would rather take the opportunity for a short vacation away from the land of smiles.

Non O Visa Application Inside Thailand

You don’t necessarily have to travel outside Thailand to obtain a Non O Visa. We can process and secure Non O Visa at Bangkok Immigration for those who have entered Thailand or are on an Exempt Visa stamp and have enough days left on stay as required.

Professional Visa Assistance

In our experience, having to make such arrangements yourself can be confusing, frustrating, and can lead to mistakes. The good news is that registered Visa Companies are on hand to do most of the work for you. Here at Thai Visa Experts, we have extensive experience in obtaining visas for foreigners. We can advise you on what your options are and ensure your documentation is all in order so you can be confident of getting the visa you need.

Seeking Assistance with Visa Requirements

Regardless of your visa requirements, get in touch and we will be more than happy to hear from you.

Conclusion: Understanding the visa options for parents with Thai children is crucial for those intending to stay in Thailand long-term. Whether it’s through tourist visas, non-B visas, or non-O visas, it’s essential to navigate the process with the correct information and documentation. Seeking professional assistance, such as that provided by Thai Visa Expert, can help streamline the application process and ensure all requirements are met. With the right visa in hand, parents can look forward to legally staying with their Thai children while enjoying the beauty and hospitality of Thailand.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

While a tourist visa allows a stay of 60 days, with a possible 30-day extension, it is not a long-term solution. Additionally, legally working in Thailand is not permitted on a tourist visa.

A non-B visa is granted to foreigners who want to work in Thailand while staying with their Thai children. It is usually valid for 90 days, with options for renewal and extension, and can be extended to 1 year. Legal work in Thailand is permitted with a non-B visa, provided a work permit is obtained.

The non-O visa is intended for foreigners to legally stay with their children and family members in Thailand. It is usually valid for 90 days, with extensions and renewals available, and can be extended for a year. Applicants may need to report to an immigration office every 90 days.

To obtain a non-O visa, applicants must provide documents proving they will be staying with at least one Thai child under 20 years old or are married to a Thai national. A non-O visa application usually takes a working day to process. Successful applicants will receive their passport back with the visa on the working day after their application.

Yes, if you have entered Thailand or are on an Exempt Visa stamp with enough days left on your stay as required, you can process and secure a non-O visa at Bangkok Immigration. Registered Visa Companies are available to assist with the application process.

Explore Our Latest Blog & Articles
Open chat
Hello 👋
Can we help you?