Thai Visa Expert has a friendly and efficient team ready to assist you.
We offer 100% free consultation via email
Visa Extension Services in Bangkok
For many long-term residents of Thailand as well as lots of tourists, one of their main concerns is getting a visa extension in Bangkok. As many who have stayed in the Kingdom for any length of time will testify, getting a Thai visa extension in Bangkok isn’t always as straightforward as you may have hoped. Thailand is notorious for requiring reams of paperwork for anything official, so it is not surprising that something is often missing. This is when it is beneficial to use a professional visa company to assist you at Bangkok immigration with your visa extension.
Most people who live in Thailand or are just visiting this beautiful country know when their visa is due for renewal and either plan to leave on or before the due date or get a visa extension in Bangkok. However, others may have planned to go but have either decided to stay or circumstances have meant that they need to stay in the Kingdom longer than initially planned. In most scenarios, they would need to get a tourist visa extension in Bangkok from the Thai Immigration Department at Chaeng Wattana. Regardless of why you need to get an extension, it is always wise to plan in advance to ensure that everything is in order.
When can I get a 30 day visa extension in Bangkok?
One of the most common visa extensions is the 30 day visa extension in Bangkok, which effectively means that visitors can stay in Thailand for a month longer than originally planned. It is often preferable to border run as you will get the extra 15 days (if you did the border run at a land border) and a more suitable alternative if you have no plans to visit another country by air. This extension is available to the following groups:
- Anyone who entered Thailand on a 60-day visa or a Single Entry Tourist Visa, which was issued outside of Thailand
- Those who entered Thailand with a six-month visa or an alternative Multiple Entry Visa, which again was issued outside of Thailand
- People who entered Thailand with a visa exempt stamp or Visa on Arrival which generally lasts for 30 days and granted by the Immigration Department at the airport when you enter Thailand
How much does this visa extension in Bangkok cost?
Bangkok Immigration will issue this visa extension for THB1,900. The process is usually completed in a few minutes once it is your turn, and if you have all the correct documentation. This form of Bangkok visa extension is sometimes referred to as an “extension of stay” as no further visa is issued; you will receive another stamp in your passport. Of course, like with any visa, you must retain your Departure Card (TM.6) with your passport, as this will be required when you leave the Kingdom.
7 day visa extension Bangkok
Although the most common visa extension is the 30 day visa extension in Bangkok, it is not available to some passport holders or some visas. The 7 day visa extension is available to almost everyone; however, it is most suited to the following groups:
- Passport holders from one of the following countries: India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Iran, Nigeria, Togo or Uganda. The Thai visa extension in Bangkok will ONLY be available if you entered on a Single Entry Tourist Visa or a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa and is effectively a tourist visa extension available in Bangkok
- Anyone who was granted a 15-day Visa on Arrival (usually from a land border) will only be eligible for a 7 day Thai Visa extension, and this is only normally granted for medical reasons
- Those who entered Thailand with a 15 day visa waiver will also only be eligible for a 7 day extension, and again, these visas are only typically issued at land borders
When to get a Tourist Visa extension in Bangkok
If you are in Bangkok and want a tourist visa extension. In that case, you should plan to get the extension around 7 days before as the additional days will be added on your existing stamp rather than from the day you visit the Immigration Department in Bangkok. Extension from border runs are valid from the day you re-enter the country. Of course, visa extensions MUST be applied for BEFORE your visa expires or the extension of stay has elapsed.
Where can I get my Thai Visa extension in Bangkok?
If you wish to go to immigration in Bangkok for a visa extension, you would normally go to Chaeng Wattana. All taxi drivers in the capital will know where the building is and will happily take you, with taxis being plentiful after you have finished. However, for convenience, when you visit Bangkok immigration for a visa extension, you may wish to use and agents such as ourselves who can help you to find your way around and ensure that everything goes to plan. It will give you the added peace of mind an enable you to enjoy the rest of your stay in the country.
If you are not in Bangkok but require a visa extension, all provinces in Thailand will have at least one immigration department with details available on the Thai Immigration website. All offices are open Monday to Friday but closed on public holidays.
What documents does Immigration in Bangkok require for a tourist visa extension?
For a Bangkok visa extension, you must attend the immigration department in person and bring with you all the required documents. You will need:
- A completed TM.7 – Extension of Temporary Stay form. Make sure that you have the full address of the hotel or place where you will be staying, as this will need to be included on the form
- Your original passport, along with copies of the personal information page, your visa (where applicable), your original entry stamp (and any other stamps from this visit) and a copy of your TM.6 Departure Card. All copies need to be signed
- One recent passport-sized photo taken against a white background – males should be wearing a shirt with a collar such as a polo or tailored shirt
- THB1,900 in cash, which is the extension fee to be handed to the immigration officer
How long does it take to get a tourist visa extension in Bangkok?
Unfortunately, Chaeng Wattana is incredibly busy, but it is very well staffed. However, you should allow 2-3 hours to complete the process and hope that it takes less! The most extended wait is to see the immigration officer for the first time when all your documents will be thoroughly checked. If everything is in order, you will be asked to sit down and called back around 10 minutes later when you will be issued with an extension.
It takes the same amount of time and costs the same regardless of if you are applying for a 3, 13 or 30-day extension, so we would always advise, where possible, to apply for a 30 day visa extension in Bangkok.
Extension of Non-Immigrant Visas
If you wish to extend a Non-Immigrant Visa such as a Thai Retirement Visa (O-A), a Dependent Visa or a Work Visa (B), it will generally be for a further 12 months. Each visa has its criteria regarding extensions, and we will be able to advise and assist you regarding this. Again, there can be quite a lot of red tape involved, so we recommend using an agent to ensure that everything runs smoothly.
What happens if I overstay?
Overstaying your visa in Thailand is now more of a problem than it was in the past and can prevent you from re-entering the Kingdom. The penalty for a minor oversight, often discovered on departure, is THB500, which may seem small, but you will receive a stamp in your passport, and a note added. While the overstay fine may be negligible on a daily basis, the maximum penalty is THB20,000. You have also broken the law, and should you get arrested, you may face jail time and be prevented from entering the country in future. If you voluntarily go to immigration, the bans are as follows:
- More than 90 days overstay – one year
- More than one year overstay – three years
- More than three years overstay – five years
- More than five years overstay – ten years
If you are arrested, the bans are as follows:
- Less than one year overstay – five years
- More than one year overstay – ten years
Do you need assistance with your visa extension in Bangkok?
If you require help with your Bangkok Tourist Visa Extension and have searched for “visa extension Bangkok” but don’t know who to trust, then at Thai Visa Expert, we can help. We understand that applying can be stressful, but we have an established and trusted professional relationship with Thai Immigration and know what is currently required, thus increasing your chances of your visa extension being granted.
Who We Are
We are experienced in Immigration Services with a decade of solving visa problems and helping our clients. We consider our strength as being 100% honest up-front with our clients.
Call: 0642691922 – English/Thai
+66 642691922 WhatsApp
Tel: 02 138 3651
Monday – Friday (9am to 5pm)
Fax: 02 117 9244
True Expat Services Co., Ltd.
Bangna Complex Office Towers
2/52, Floor 11th, Bangna Trad Soi 25,
Bangna, Bangkok – 10260