Thailand has so much to offer to people who are considering moving to the country to live and work. The country has modern cities like Bangkok that have all you could possibly need, stunning beaches and other natural sights, and the famously warm welcome. Thailand also has a bustling economy and all you could need to do business and is considered a major international business hub thanks to its location in the S.E. Asia Region. The country also has modern travel infrastructure including the road and rail network, airports, and seaports.

With all the country has to offer, it’s no wonder that so many people would love to stay here. But the difficult part for many people is finding a job in the first place and even knowing where to start looking. This article takes a closer look at how to get a job and sponsorship in Thailand. 

Finding a Job

Some people will already have a job waiting for them before they set foot in Thailand. However, many others will choose to look for work sometime after arriving. 

The job market in Thailand is very limited to foreigners; the general rule of thumb is that no foreigner can take a job that a Thai could do. As such, foreigners are usually limited to jobs like teaching, while many others will work for large international companies.

Another factor that helps limit foreigners’ access to the Thai job market is work permit regulations. For example, a Thai company must have 4 Thai employees for every foreigner they hire. Many Thai employers would also prefer to hire a Thai for reasons such as language issues, while many foreigners will also be unwilling to work on a salary that many Thais will be happy to accept.

Regardless, the best place to look for jobs in Thailand is in the online English language ex-pat forums, and sites like are excellent sources of information on teaching jobs. If you find a suitable job and are successful in your application, you will need to have the appropriate visa and a work permit before you can work. 

Getting a Visa

To work in Thailand you will first need to have the appropriate visa and, in most cases, this will mean applying for a Non-B visa

Regardless of which visa you apply for, you must make the application in a Thai consulate or embassy. And you will only find Thai consulates or embassies in other countries, which means you must travel. Of course, some people will already have applied for a visa before leaving their home country for Thailand.

Most people staying in Thailand will travel to a nearby country when applying for visas. The most popular options include Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, and Hong Kong. Many will need to use the less expensive options like Cambodia or Laos, often going by road to help reduce costs further. Others with a larger budget can spend a few days or so in more appealing locations like Singapore and Hong Kong. 

In most cases, the embassy or consulate in question will take applications one day and you can pick up your passport and visa the following day. This might mean staying for the weekend if you arrive on a Friday while you should also take local holidays into account. 

And remember that you will need to take the appropriate documents with you for your application to be successful. Such documents must be provided by your potential employer, and the team at Thai Visa Expert will be happy to help however we can. 

Getting a Work Permit

Getting a visa allows you to remain in the country for a given length of time, which is usually 90 days with extensions usually available. However, such a visa does not allow you to work and you will need to apply for a work permit before you start in your new job. 

A work permit can be applied for through the Ministry of Employment in Bangkok, and you can apply by post if necessary. The process is usually fairly straightforward and applications are often, but not always, processed within 7 working days. Once your work permit is granted then you can legally start work with your new employer. 

Although getting a work permit isn’t difficult provided you have the right documentation, it can still be a confusing and frustrating process for newcomers. The good news is that plenty of help is at hand to help foreigners obtain work permits and visas. If you need assistance, then get in touch with the team at Thai Visa Expert and we will be happy to help however we can. 

Changing Jobs

If you already have a work permit in Thailand but you wish to change jobs, then you may have to repeat the process. Once your termination with your old employer is terminated, your visa will be cancelled and you will have to leave the country that day to obtain a new one. Alternatively, you can apply for an extension that will let you stay in the country for a few days longer. 

If your new employer can get you a new work permit within seven days and provide the relevant documents then a trip overseas can be avoided. However, it will be necessary to travel abroad if the new work permit cannot be processed in time, so you should be prepared in case. 


Above is a brief overview of how to get a job and sponsorship in Thailand. Finding a job in the first place can be difficult depending on which skill sets you possess. Many foreigners in Thailand have become entrepreneurs instead and opened their own businesses to help support them during their stay. 

If you do find a job then there will be forms to fill and, and a trip to another country unless you already have the appropriate visa. It can be difficult to know which visas you need and which requirements you have to meet, but the team at Thai Visa Expert will be happy to help. With our expert guidance, your visa and work permit applications are likely to go much more smoothly, and we can also help ensure all of your paperwork is in order to help you get the result you want.



45 days Exempt visa stamp is no longer offered which was implemented on October 1st last year 2022 as an effort to help stimulate the Thai Tourism Industry. All the countries that eligible for Exempt Visa stamp will now get only 30 days upon arrival.

For those who want to stay longer for tourism purpose, travelers can also apply for a 60 days Tourist Visa head of time, which is of course, more costly and requires uploading a variety of documents as most embassies have moved to the E-Visa application system.

Either way, the Exempt Visa stamp for 30 days and Tourist Visa for 60 days can extend their stay for another 30 days at the cost of 1900 THB at a local Thai Immigration in Thailand. However, some nationalities may receive extension not more than 7 days on a Tourist Visa (if not eligible for Exempt Visa stamp)