Marriage (Spouse) Visa Services in Thailand

It is common for foreigners who come to Thailand fall in love with not only the country but also a Thai national and later become legally married. In many cases, the foreigner may wish to obtain a long-term visa in Thailand, often referred to as a Thai Marriage Visa. A Marriage Visa in Thailand is a form of Non-Immigrant O Visa that allows foreigner spouses to live together in Thailand on the assumption that they meet some strict criteria.

How do I obtain a Non-Immigrant O Visa Thai Spouse?

If you are legally married to a Thai national, this means that the wedding has been legally recognised at your partner’s Amphur, you can apply for a Thai Spouse Visa. There are two main ways of applying for a Thai Marriage Visa. The first is to apply for a Non-Immigrant O Thai Spouse Visa at the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in your home country, where you will be granted either a 90-day single-entry or multiple-entry visa. Alternatively, you could apply for the visa whilst you are in the Kingdom at a Thai Immigration Department such as at Chaeng Wattana in Bangkok.

Applying for a Marriage Visa in Thailand

If you are a passport holder of one of the 21 countries that can enter Thailand with a Visa on Arrival or 30-day exempt stamp, applying for a Non-Immigrant O Visa is relatively straightforward as long as you have the necessary paperwork. Indeed, applying for a Marriage Visa in Thailand is one of the easiest visas to obtain, assuming that you meet the criteria. We would strongly suggest that if you plan to apply for a Thai Wife Visa and have entered the Kingdom on either a Tourist Visa or an exempt stamp, you begin the application process immediately to avoid any problems.

The requirement for applying for a Non-Immigrant O Visa at Bangkok Immigration

If we assume that your current visa is a Tourist Visa instead of another form of Non-Immigrant visa, the first process is to file a TM. 86 Form, which is the application to convert to a Non-Immigrant O Visa. If you have an exempt stamp, you will need to complete a TM. 87 Form to obtain your Non-Immigrant O Visa (Thai Wife). In addition to the application form, when applying for a Thai Spouse Visa you will also need to submit the following:

  • Your passport with a minimum of six months remaining and two free pages available
  • Three passport-sized photos which must be professionally taken against a white background. You should not smile in the pictures, wear a shirt with a collar and remove glasses or any headgear
  • Photocopies of your passport including the personal information page, the latest entry stamp, your existing visa (not applicable if you have a Visa on Arrival exempt stamp), details of any extensions and your TM. 6 – also known as your Departure Card
  • A copy of your wife’s Thai ID Card
  • A copy of your wife’s house registration, known as the Tabian Baan
  • If you were married in Thailand, you will need your original Thai Marriage Certificate (Kor Ror. 2 and Kor Ror. 3) along with a copy. You will also need to provide a copy of your Affirmation of Freedom to Marry certificate, which your Embassy will have issued prior to your marriage
  • If you were married outside of the Kingdom, you will need to lodge a Family Status Registration (Kor Ror. 22) and provide a copy of the marriage certificate or marriage registration from overseas
  • If you were married overseas, the marriage must be legalised by the Embassy in Bangkok. For example, if you were married in the UK, the British Embassy would need to legalise the marriage. A copy of these documents along with a certified translation verified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand will be required
  • Proof that the applicant has a monthly income of at least THB40,000 per month
  • Not less than THB400,000 held in a Thai savings or fixed deposit account bank for a defined period (subject to change) as proven by a recently updated bank book and a supporting letter from the bank confirming that the balance is correct. The account must be solely in the name of the applicant as joint accounts will NOT be accepted
  • Six photos of the husband and wife together inside and outside their home, including one clearly showing the house or unit number
  • Proof of address, including a map of the location, will also be required as well as:
    • If you are the registered homeowner, a copy of the ownership documents (Chanot)
    • If you are renting the property, you will need a copy of the signed rental agreement, a copy of the landlord’s house registration, a copy of the landlords Thai ID card or if a foreigner, their passport
  • The applicant and his Thai spouse must attend the immigration department in person
  • The applicant will also need to sign each copy as self-attestation/certify

Marriage Visa extension in Thailand

If you are granted a Non-Immigrant O Multiple Entry visa, it is typically valid for one year. In most circumstances, you will be required to report your whereabouts to Thai Immigration through a process known as 90-Day Reporting. You will need to attend the Immigration Department in person, send a representative or apply either online by post and is merely a means of the Thai authorities keeping track of who is in the country.

Marriage Visa Extension – Border Run

In some cases, holders of a Non-Immigrant O Thai Spouse Visa, which is Multiple Entry, may need to leave the Kingdom every 90 days instead of reporting to the Thai Immigration Department. The process does not require the visa to be renewed (at this point); it is just another means of tracking who is in the country and requires you to obtain an exit and re-entry stamp. It is possible to go to any country to do this step, although border runs typically involve a day trip to a neighbouring country such as Cambodia, Laos or Myanmar. Most people go on an organised trip to Cambodia from Bangkok, with the entire trip taking approximately 10-12 hours.

Although this may be viewed as an inconvenience to some, it can suit some individuals who need to frequently leave the country for business purposes but still have a Thai Spouse Visa obtained in Thailand.

How often do I need to renew my Thai Marriage Visa?

The Thai Spouse Visa needs to be renewed annually, and the process is the same as with the original application. The process is subject to change, so we recommend consulting with a professional visa company at least one month before the renewal is due.

Why use a professional visa company?

Applying for a visa in any country can be stressful, and with a Thai Wife Visa, there is the potential for families to become separated if things don’t go to plan. At Thai Visa Expert, we will ensure that you have all the correct paperwork and can liaise with immigration officials on your behalf. We have an established and trusted professional relationship with Thai Immigration and know what is currently required, thus increasing your chances of your visa being accepted the first time.

Thai Visa Expert has a friendly and efficient team ready to assist you.
We offer 100% free consultation via email
Open chat
Hello 👋
Can we help you?