Thai Visa Expert has a friendly and efficient team ready to assist you. 

We offer 100% free consultation via email

About the Non-Immigrant O Visa in Thailand,
Extensions and Requirements

Of all the long-term visas available, the Non O Visa for Thailand, often referred to as the Thailand Non-Immigrant O Visa, is probably the most frequently applied. There are various forms of Non Immigrant O Visa. They are primarily aimed at retirees or those looking to stay in the Kingdom for longer than a regular visa exempt stamp or Visa on Arrival. Of course, the rules are quite strict regarding who is eligible for these types of visa.

General rules regarding the Non Immigrant O Visa Thailand

The various forms of Thai Non Immigrant O Visa are all designed to allow the holder to stay in Thailand for an extended period. The visas can be applied for at the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in your home country, a country neighbouring Thailand or in the Kingdom. When applying for a visa outside of Thailand, you will initially be granted a 90 day, Single Entry Visa Non Immigrant O for Thailand.

Each visa requires slightly different documentation (see below), but in all cases, it will need to be translated into the language of the country where you are applying for the visa from or in English. In some cases, documents will be required from employers in Thailand, and these will be in the Thai language and won’t need translating. All documents must be signed by the applicant and, where applicable, a legal representative of the employer. It should be noted that large quantities of paperwork are required, so care should be taken to ensure that each page is signed when applying for a Non O Visa for Thailand.

visa extension bangkok

Is a 12 month Multiple Entry Non Immigrant O Visa available from outside the Kingdom?

Some embassies and consulates have the power to issue a 12-month Multiple Entry Visa, although their issuance is becoming less frequent. If you are granted a 12-month visa, you will be permitted to enter Thailand within its validity and the 12 months will commence as soon as you enter the Kingdom. The holder will be required to leave the Kingdom every 90 days, usually to a neighbouring country on a border run, as 90-Day Reporting is not available in normal circumstances.

When you do re-enter the Kingdom, you should check your new entry stamp carefully to ensure it is correct, as errors cannot be rectified after the event and will effectively invalidate your visa going forward.

What general documents are required for a Visa Non Immigrant O Thailand?

Most of the documents required for a Non Immigrant O Visa for Thailand are the same and include:

  • A completed application form can be submitted online or in-person at the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate. It should be noted that different consulates and embassies may have different application forms, so it is essential that you complete the correct version. All documents should include your name as it appears in your passport
  • A valid passport that has a minimum of six months remaining and two blank pages
  • All the supporting documents required for your type of Thai Non Immigrant O Visa (see below)

NB: The Royal Thai Embassy can reserve the right to request any other documentation that they may feel relevant to your application for a Thailand Non Immigrant O Visa.

The different types of Non O Visa for Thailand

There are several types of Visa Non Immigrant O Thailand, but at Thai Visa Expert, we predominantly focus on three types, the standard “O” visa, which, for example, is designed for visiting friends and family in Thailand, for receiving medical treatment, the Thai Dependent Visa or to do voluntary work. The “O-A” Thai Retirement Visa for those aged 50 years or over or the “O-X” 10 Year Thai Retirement Visa which is available to nationals of specific countries and has stricter requirements to the “O-A” Visa.

Thailand Non Immigrant O Visa (Voluntary Work)

Many people wish to work voluntarily in Thailand, and this is now allowed without a work permit. However, you still require the correct visa, and to get this, you will need to supply the relevant paperwork at the time of the application, including:

  • A signed Letter of Invitation from an “authorised person” along with a copy of their passport or Thai ID card
  • A copy of the Charity, Association or NGO’s registration
  • Proof that you have the financial means to support yourself for the duration of the visa WITHOUT doing paid work in Thailand
  • Proof or your “home” address

Thai Non Immigrant O Visa (Staying with family in Thailand)

Of course, many long-term residents of Thailand, along with Thai nationals, wish their family to come and visit them. The person must reside in Thailand for a minimum of 60-days before applying for a Non O Visa Thailand. To apply for this visa, you will need to following documentation:

  • Proof of the relationship such as a marriage certificate, birth certificate or legal adoption papers
  • A copy of the family member’s Thai ID card or passport and, where applicable, a copy of their visa and entry stamp
  • Details of where you will be staying such as an invitation letter or a hotel booking
  • Proof that you have the financial means to support yourself, or with the help of a third party, for the duration of your visa (working in Thailand is not permitted)

Thai Non Immigrant O Visa (Retirement Visa with a stay of no more than 90 days)

Many retirees wish to stay in Thailand for up to 90 days, in which case they can apply for this visa before arriving in Thailand. The visa holder will often apply for a Non Immigrant O Visa extension when in the Kingdom, which will enable them to stay for longer (see below). However, for this initial application, you will need the following documents:

  • Proof that you are 50 years or older (your passport will suffice)
  • A copy of your last month’s bank statement clearly showing your income or a MINIMUM of THB400,000 (or currency equivalent) in a bank account
  • Proof of your home address

Non Immigrant O Visa (O-A Retirement, Long-Term)

If you have a Single Entry Non Immigrant Visa Thailand (Retirement) this can be extended in Thailand to a long-term visa. To apply for a Thai Non Immigrant O Visa Extension, you will need the following:

  • Your original passport with a minimum of six months remaining and two blank pages along with copies of ALL pages which must be signed
  • A medical certificate stating that the applicant does not have any of the following diseases: Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction, third stage of Syphilis, and the certificate shall be valid for not more than three months
  • Some financial requirements must be satisfied, which include meeting one of the following:
    • Have at least THB800,000 held in a Thai saving or fixed deposit account for a designated period of time, which is currently three months before the application. For a Thailand Retirement Visa Renewal, this is again three months before the application, but also it must be held for three months after. A letter and copies of your bank book will be required to confirm that this is the case
    • Alternatively, if you have a monthly income of not less than THB65,000 per month, this would be acceptable. Please note, most embassies are now unwilling to issue letters guaranteeing that you receive this level of income in your “home” country, so you may wish to look at alternative methods of proving this to be the case. A copy of an entire year’s bank statement showing the monies going into your account regularly should suffice. It is also essential to point out that a holder of a Thai Retirement Visa is NOT permitted to work in the country. It is also possible to have a combination of savings held in a Thai bank account and an incoming with the total being not less than THB800,000 per annum with again proof being required
  • Health insurance valid for the duration of the visa with a minimum of THB40,000 inpatient cover and THB400,000 inpatient cover

The requirements are the same for this Non Immigrant O visa extension.

Non Immigrant O-X – 10 Year Retirement Visa

The Non Immigrant Visa – Retirement (O-X) is suitable for those aged 50 or over who wish to stay in Thailand (without working) long-term. The visa is effectively two five year visas and is only available to passport holders from the following countries: Japan, Australia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherland, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Canada and the United States. All of the above documentation is required, although the financial requirements are:

  • The applicant must have a minimum of THB3 million in a Thai savings or fixed deposit account OR at least THB1.8 million in a Thai savings or fixed deposit account and an income of THB1.2 million or more per annum
  • The holder must retain a balance of THB1.5 million for the duration of the visa

For this Thai Non Immigrant O Visa extension, all requirements remain the same.

Why use a professional visa company?

Applying for a visa in any country can be stressful, and with a Non O Visa Thailand, there is the potential for individuals to be denied an extended stay in Thailand. At Thai Visa Expert, we will ensure that you have all the correct paperwork and can liaise with immigration officials on your behalf. We have an established and trusted professional relationship with Thai Immigration and know what is currently required, thus increasing your chances of your visa being accepted the first time.

Who We Are

We are experienced in Immigration Services with a decade of solving visa problems and helping our clients. We consider our strength as being 100% honest up-front with our clients.

Contact Details

Call: 0642691922English/Thai
+66 642691922 WhatsApp
Line: thaivisaexpert
Tel: 02 138 3651
Monday – Friday (9am to 5pm)
Fax: 02 117 9244

Useful Links

Office Location

True Expat Services Co., Ltd.
Bangna Complex Office Towers
2/52, Floor 11th, Bangna Trad Soi 25,
Bangna, Bangkok – 10260

Exempt Stamp & On-Arrival Visa Extended to boost Tourism in Thailand from 1st October 2022

Exempt Stamp & On-Arrival Visa Extended to boost Tourism in Thailand from 1st October 2022

The Center for COVID – 19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has approved longer Exempt Visa Stamp and On-Arrival Visas to Thailand starting from October 1st until 31st March 2023 as part of efforts to revitalize the economy due to the pandemic.

Passport holders that entered Thailand on an Exempt stamp for 30 days will be allowed to enter on a 45 days Exempt Stamp from October 1st and On-Arrival visa that entered Thailand on 15 days will be now allow to enter on 30 days On-Arrival Visa.