The idea of living and working in Thailand can be an exciting one. It’s an opportunity to live among people who offer world-famous hospitality as well as taking in the sights and enjoying the country’s world-famous beaches. Finding work in Thailand can also be an opening that will lead to many more opportunities that will help take your career to the highest level.

But that doesn’t mean the decision is always an easy one, especially when it comes to leaving behind friends and family. Many people will understandably draw a red line at being separated from their families but will still be excited by the opportunity.

This naturally leads to the fairly common question of whether they can bring their families with them. We’ve created this article to help answer that question.

What is a Non-B Visa?

A non-b visa is a type of visa that’s necessary for a foreigner to qualify for a work permit. Most people will apply for the visa in their own country with help from certain documents from their potential employer. Foreigners already staying in Thailand will need to travel to another country to apply for the visa at a Thai embassy or consulate. If your potential employer is located in Bangkok meeting all the requirements, it may be possible to obtain a Non-Immigrant B Visa at Bangkok Immigration (Chaengwattana).

Non-Immigrant B Visa is valid for 3 months but the Extension of stay on a Non-Immigrant B Visa is valid for another 12 months. Non-Immigrant B Visa is extendable yearly just before its expiry and can be extended without having to leave Thailand. A team of Thai Visa Experts can assist you to ensure all the supporting documents are in the right order so that the application is processed hassle free.

Non-B visa holders will need to apply for a work permit before they can legally start working. This is a separate process from applying for a visa, and is done through the Thai Department of Employment. You can apply for a work permit while you are in the country, and Thai Visa Expert offers services to help you with the process.

So, a non-B lets you live and work in Thailand for a certain length of time. However, the visa grants rights to stay only to the holder and not their families, which won’t come as good news to many people thinking about emigrating. However, while a non-B visa will not directly allow the holder to bring their loved ones, it can still help.

For example, the family of a non-B visa holder can apply for a non-O visa on the basis of a family member legally working in the country.

What is a Non-O Visa?

A non-O visa is a type of Thai visa that’s usually given to foreigners to let them stay in the country with family. This sometimes means a foreigner applying for a non-O visa to stay with a Thai partner and/or children. However, it can also mean a foreigner staying with a foreign family member legally working in the country. This is good news for people planning on working in Thailand and don’t want to be away from their families.

The Non-O visa is valid for 90 days, although extensions are available and the validity of extension will be same as the main visa holder. Family will have to provide a proof of relationship like Marriage Certificate for spouse and birth certificate of children. Both the Non-Immigrant B and Non-Immigrant O Visa holders can renew it at the same time. We at Thai Visa Experts have two decades of experience and our team will ensure you and your family’s visa extension is successfully secured without any hassle.

You should also bear in mind that your dependents will not have the right to work. If you have children with you and they are enrolled in one of the International schools, then their most suitable visa option is Education Visa more than the Dependent Visa. If children are on Education Visa then the parents can have Guardian Visa in case, you no longer want to work in Thailand. The team at Thai Visa Expert will be more than happy to help with the process.

How to Qualify

To qualify, the applicant must be a spouse, parent, or child, and children must be under 20 years old to qualify. They will need to provide proof of their relationship with the non-B holder, such as a marriage certificate or birth certificate. The applicant will also have to provide proof that their family member has a valid non-B visa.

Be Prepared for Change

Arranging to bring your family to Thailand with you is only a small part of the equation. You and your family will also be making considerable changes to your lives, moving to a foreign country with a different culture and, in most cases, a very different climate. As such, you and the rest of your family will need to be prepared for the changes ahead, which can be difficult for some people. It’s often best if you go through the experience as a family unit, and most people will begin to feel at home before long.

Thankfully, Thai people are generally friendly, helping to make it easier to settle in. You will also find many home comforts while living in Thailand, including restaurants and other establishments selling home cuisine. While the climate can be difficult to adjust to, buildings generally have air conditioning that helps make shopping and other activities comfortable.


While having a non-B visa isn’t enough in itself to bring your family with you, the visa will help make things easier for you. Holding a non-B visa will help make it easier for your family members to get visas of their own, allowing them to stay with you for as long as you’re working in the country.

Regardless of your circumstances and needs, immigration rules and regulations can be confusing to newcomers. Not only can this make emigrating more daunting, but it can also mean potentially costly mistakes are made. Thankfully, however, experts are on hand to help ensure that everything goes as smoothly as possible for you.

The team at Thai Visa Expert understands Thai visa regulations inside out. As such, we know what your options are and how to apply for and get the appropriate visas for your stay. Not only that, but we can also help with a wide range of other matters relating to staying in Thailand. Please feel free to get in touch at a time that suits you and our team will be more than happy to help however we can.



45 days Exempt visa stamp is no longer offered which was implemented on October 1st last year 2022 as an effort to help stimulate the Thai Tourism Industry. All the countries that eligible for Exempt Visa stamp will now get only 30 days upon arrival.

For those who want to stay longer for tourism purpose, travelers can also apply for a 60 days Tourist Visa head of time, which is of course, more costly and requires uploading a variety of documents as most embassies have moved to the E-Visa application system.

Either way, the Exempt Visa stamp for 30 days and Tourist Visa for 60 days can extend their stay for another 30 days at the cost of 1900 THB at a local Thai Immigration in Thailand. However, some nationalities may receive extension not more than 7 days on a Tourist Visa (if not eligible for Exempt Visa stamp)